Nintendo News: Pokémon Mania Helps Drive Nintendo 3DS to No. 1
REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- The Nintendo 3DS platform finished July atop the hardware and software sales charts according to the NPD Group, which tracks video game sales in the U.S. The strong performance is in part thanks to the release of the Monster Hunter Generations game, continued momentum from the price drop of the Nintendo 2DS system and widespread positive public reception for the Pokémon GO mobile app, which has renewed interest in core Pokémon games on Nintendo systems. Additionally:
- The Nintendo 3DS family of systems sold nearly 80 percent more units this July compared to the same time period a year ago, and finished as the overall best-selling video game system in July. On the software side, Capcom’s Monster Hunter Generations emerged as the best-selling game for any system.
- July sales of the Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire games for Nintendo 3DS were over 80 percent higher than July 2015. The games launched in November 2014.
- July sales of the Pokémon X and Pokémon Y games for Nintendo 3DS were almost 200 percent higher than a year ago. The games launched in October 2013 and finished No. 16 and No. 22 on July’s best-sellers list, respectively.
- Games playable on Nintendo systems claimed five of the top 11 spots on the July best-sellers list. These include Monster Hunter Generations from Capcom at No. 1, Minecraft: Wii U Edition from Microsoft at No. 6, Pokémon Omega Ruby at No. 8, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire at No. 10 and Kirby: Planet Robobot at No. 11.
- The Nintendo 2DS system has crossed the 2 million lifetime sales mark in the U.S.
*Data regarding physical sales of games are from the NPD Group. Data regarding digital downloads of games and combined physical/digital life-to-date numbers are from Nintendo’s internal sales figures. All numbers, unless otherwise stated, are specific to the United States only.
For more information about Nintendo, visit http://www.nintendo.com.
Source: Nintendo Press Release